Privileges and Responsibilities
Records maintained by any library funded in whole or in part by public funds, which contain information relating to the identity of a library user, relative to the user's use of books or other materials at the library, shall be confidential. Such records may only be released with the express written permission of the respective library user or as the result of a court order.
Sources: Laws, 1992, ch. 521, § 1, eff from and after July 1, 1992.
Your card may be used at any of our four library branches: Purvis, Sumrall, Lumberton and Oak Grove.
- You may have up to 30 items checked out on your library card at a time except DVDs, which are limited to 5 per card. The Library reserves the right to limit checkouts.
- Books, audiobooks, CDs, & DVDs can be checked out for up to 2 weeks.
- All magazines, with the exception of the latest issue, can be checked out for 2 weeks.
- For materials retrieved through our interlibrary loan ( ILL ) process, the loan period varies depending on the lender.
- Any items, such as popular titles, that have 3 or more holds will have a 1 week checkout period.
- There are three ways to update your contact information: in person, by phone, or by accessing your account through our online catalog.
- You may return library materials to any of our four branches: Purvis, Sumrall, Lumberton or Oak Grove.
- You are responsible for all materials borrowed on your library card or that of your child.
- You are responsible for immediately reporting a lost or stolen card. To get a new card, bring $1 and a valid photo ID to one of our four locations.
- Use of Lamar County Library System materials is free if all items are returned by the due date or renewed before the due date. However, the library system will call and/or send you a letter concerning any that are overdue.
- When an item becomes 2 weeks overdue, a notice will be mailed or emailed to you. This is the only notice you will receive.
- If the item is not returned within 30 days of the due date, the item will be declared lost and your library account will be charged a replacement cost and a $10 processing fee for each item.
You will lose your borrowing privileges until all overdue items are returned and fines and fees are paid.
Parents, please share with your child the importance of his/her library card and the responsibility it entails. A library card provides your child access to all library materials, including videos, CD-ROMs, and magazines. Your child's library card is confidential. However, parents are responsible for overdue fines, damages or lost items.